South Superior Wisconsin Restaurants, City's offers a great Friday fish fry!

Early this evening I was in line at a big box store and I struck up a conversation with a woman who told me that a restaurant in south end, was having an “all you can eat” fish fry. Since I was close (and hungry; I was actually getting groceries for supper) I thought I’d be “lazy” and eat fish from someone else’s frying pan.

When I arrived I had to be a bit creative to find a parking space because of all the cars. When I walked in I found ample space and tables waiting. I asked a gentleman in blue jeans and T shirt if I just seated myself and he told me I could sit anywhere.

There was a woman running around delivering plates of hot fish and refilling coffee cups. When she asked me what I wanted the man who I later found out is the owner, had already filled a cup of coffee for me and  told her that I had ordered the fish. The option was either breaded or broiled and the broiled seemed most appetizing.

While waiting for the fish, my eyes ran across the walls filled with fifties memorabilia of old 45s, car stuff and a few pictures of Presley. I then noticed the white board of the day’s specials and you could sure tell it was Friday with all the variety of fish entrees and then my eyes noticed that they had clam chowder; homemade no less! I waited for the opportunity to flag the waitress and after finding the pricing of a cup, a bowl and a “bowl as big as my head” I chose the cup (so I’d have room for the fish). The chowder was a nice prelude to the main course which arrived shortly after two topping offs of my coffee cup, keeping it full and hot.

The plate (it was actually a platter; about the size of Lake Superior) came with a long bread roll, a small container of slaw and another with tartar sauce, a slice of lemon, hash browns and three long strips of broiled fish. What I liked about this “all you can eat” process was that (I think she told me her name was Michelle or Shelly?) asked me before I was done eating if she should place an order for more fish of which I agreed. I’ve been at places with the “all you can eat” where they wait (ignore) you until your entire plate is empty, then ask you if you want more and about 20 minutes later show up with some. The one place I’m thinking of is no longer open. 

It took me a leisurely while but I was able to get on the outside of it all. 


While paying for my meal I chatted with both the owner and the server. The place is called City’s 58th Street Diner.  Many know it as "Rich’s" and later, Kent’s Corner CafĂ©. I hope these small “Mom and Pop” type businesses stay around. They are true "Americana" and honest businesses. I was informed that they would soon be changing up the menu, offering different choices and without increasing prices much, if at all along with a change of logo that would be a little easier to "understand". 

This was a wonderful experience where I saw both customers with families and elderly folks; all enjoying a great meal at a great price while Cory the owner cooked, made malts, greeted and seated people (when the waitress was too busy) and even clearing tables.

When you are in Superior or close by, make the trip to “South” Superior and try City’s hospitality, and tell ‘em Ter Scott sent you!

Ter Scott!

Bricks to Clicks Marketing Consultant ®

No comments:

Post a Comment